Q: How do I apply for an ASSP Foundation Career Development Grant?
A: Applications are accepted year round through the online application.
Q: When is the deadline for requesting ASSP Foundation grants?
A: The ASSP Foundation Career Development Grant application is open year-round, with awards based on availability and donor criteria.
Q: Do I need to be an ASSP member in order to be eligible?
A: ASSP membership is not required but preferred and, in most cases, ASSP members will receive priority.
Q: Can I apply for both a scholarship and a grant?
A: Yes, if you are seeking support for your college coursework through the scholarship program as well as support for conference or certification expenses through the grant program. If you are enrolled in an OSH-related degree program and are planning on supporting your career in the OSH profession with your degree, you should apply for an academic scholarship. College coursework is not covered by Career Development Grants. ASSP Foundation career development grants are for individuals within the occupational safety and health field (either students or professionals) who need financial support for certification expenses, conference attendance, webinar attendance, workshop attendance, and similar professional development support.
Q: How much are ASSP Foundation grants?
A: On average, ASSP Foundation Career Development Grants are $500–$1,000 and vary based on availability and donor criteria. You are asked to submit a detailed itemization of your request, but keep in mind that this is used to gauge the total cost and does not mean you will receive the full amount requested.
Q: Will I be able to receive more than one ASSP Foundation grant?
A: Individuals are eligible to receive one ASSP Foundation grant per program year. Preference will be given to individuals who have not yet received a career development grant.
Q: Are ASSP Foundation grants offered to individuals who are not United States citizens?
A: Citizenship is not a requirement for any grant. All career development grants are available to individuals within the occupational safety and health field (either students or professionals) who need financial support for certification expenses, conference attendance, webinar attendance, workshop attendance, and similar professional development support.
Q: Are ASSP Foundation grants offered to individuals outside of the United States?
A: Due to federal and international taxation and regulations, grants are not available to individuals located outside of the United States.
Q: May I mail or email my application or materials required for my application?
A: No, you must complete and submit your application materials through the online application.
Q: What materials must I submit as a part of this application?
A: You will need to collect the following items and submit them directly through the online application. While not all of these items are required for ASSP Foundation career development grants, they are highly recommended to support your request for support.
- Letter(s) of Recommendation: At least one letter of recommendation is recommended. Letters are an important piece of the review and scoring of applications, so you are highly encouraged to submit three letters of recommendation. Do not submit letters that are not current. You are responsible for requesting, collecting and uploading current letters of recommendation. Only letters submitted through the online application will be accepted.
- Resume/CV: It is recommended that you include your updated resume/CV or even a .pdf copy of your updated LinkedIn Profile to support the story about your career path.
- Itemized costs for your grant request (required): You are asked to itemize the costs of your financial need to support reviewers make award allocations. Please note that the average grant award ranges from $500–$1,000 and you are not guaranteed to receive the full amount you are requesting.
Q: Are travel expenses (airfare, hotel, mileage) to a seminar or conference covered under your grant program?
A: Travel expenses are not considered eligible expenses.
Q: What is required of me to apply?
A: There are at least three required short answer pieces, with a limit of 500 words each. Take your time, and thoughtfully and clearly answer the questions. A big part of how applicants are rated comes from how you answer the short-answer questions. The questions include:
- What drew you to the field of safety and how has your education and/or career thus far affected your views of the field?
- What professional and career goals do you have for yourself, and how will the educational opportunity for which you are requesting support help you reach those goals?
- What leadership and volunteer positions have you taken within the safety community and what positions do you envision in the future?
- What is the greatest takeaway from this past year? What will you do with that knowledge to impact people throughout your career?
- What makes you stand out as an applicant?
Q: If I already received an ASSP Foundation career development grant in previous years, am I eligible to apply again?
A: Applications are accepted throughout the year. Preference will be given to applicants who have not yet received an ASSP Foundation Career Development Grant. Individuals may receive one grant per year.
Q: If I am selected for a grant, how will I be notified and when will I receive the funds?
A: All applicants will be notified by email of awarding status within eight weeks of application completion. Please note: awarding notifications and confirmation requests will be sent via email to the address used in your application. Be sure you have used an email address that you use on a regular basis.
Those selected for a career development grant will be required accept the award, submit thank you letters to the donor(s) of their grant, and must confirm mailing address through the awarding portal. Additional details will be included in the confirmation email. If you are awarded and do not complete the requirements within the timeframe allotted, you risk losing the award completely.